As an Artsmark partner I’m part of an Arts Council England endorsed network of arts and cultural organisations who can support the Artsmark programme
I support schools and SEND settings who are working towards Artsmark and schools currently holding Artsmark status looking to further develop their arts and cultural provision. I’m also an Arts Award supporter and a trained Arts Award Adviser and can develop projects which help pupils achieve their Arts Award.
My Artsmark offer fulfils the Arts Council’s seven quality principles (see below). I have high expectation levels for all pupils within a supportive, inclusive environment. Sessions are highly engaging and creative and allow pupils to have both the responsibility and freedom to make decisions about the progression of their projects. In this environment children produce high quality work and are inspired to discover that they’re capable of a lot more than they thought. I provide follow up activities for pupils to further develop their skills, and guides for teachers which support their CPD.
Typical Project Elements
- Pupils plan their projects and do some preparation work using materials I provide, such as a character design brainstorming sheet.
- I provide comic or picture book templates for the sessions and guides for teachers on all resources including tips on supporting comic creation.
- I come in for the planned sessions where I show the group how I create characters, present examples of inspirational illustrated fiction and comics and offer tips and support to help them create original characters and comics or picture books – sessions are highly productive and creative. Please see my workshop page for more details.
- Pupils evaluate their achievements using words and pictures on a custom made template.
Themes Relating to the Curriculum
Here are examples of themes I cover, and I can work with you on other topics and cross curricular projects. Space, Heroes and Villains, Myths and Legends, Ancient Greece/Egypt/Rome, Kings & Queens, Tudors, India, Aztec, Stone Age, Aesop’s Fables, Chinese New Year, Dragons, Fairy Tales, Diary, Black History Month and Fashion/Costume.
- Family and community groups
- CPD sessions for teachers
- I am on the DBS update service
- I have Public Liability insurance
Please contact me with your requirements for a quote. Discounts are available for schools booking a package of longer-term support and/or multiple days in one setting or within a group of schools.
I provide templates, planning sheets and teacher guidance notes specific to the project. On workshop days I bring a presentation, black fine line pens and HB pencils. I usually require a flip chart and PowerPoint facilities, printouts of emailed resources and for the pupils A4 paper or art books.
Sessions for Teachers
I developed a CPD workshop in partnership with Artswork to support teachers at schools on their Artsmark journey. During the session I demonstrate ways of bringing curriculum topics to life using character, comic and picture book creation. Please contact me if you would like to discuss something similar for your setting, and see the articles linked below for more information.
Images from my sessions with Artsmark at Brighton, Margate, Southampton and Oxford
Read the post I wrote for A New Direction 10 Tips for Teachers: drawing projects to enhance curriculum topics link
Art Council England’s Quality Principles
1. Striving for excellence and innovation
2. Being authentic
3. Being exciting, inspiring and engaging
4. Ensuring a positive and inclusive experience
5. Actively involving children and young people
6. Enabling personal progression
7. Developing belonging and ownership